Vilmon was a fun sculpt to paint, but I had to keep his arms separate until after painting was complete or I wouldn’t have been able to get to this face and upper chest. More than anything else though I was pretty happy with his base.
I had envisioned Vilmon’s base it to be a cobblestone surface with a menofix centered underneath Vilmon, but had some trouble at first executing the concept. I wound up printing a Menofix out on cardstock, then cutting it out and gluing it to a scrap of pink insulation foam. I then heaped paint onto this and stamped it onto another piece of foam to get the outline I wanted. Then I used a ballpoint pen to create the mortar joints. Finally I drybrushed the stones gray to get texture and highlighting and stained the menofix with the Royal Plum color I use for my army.
After the stonework was finished, I used a drill and drilled small holes around the edge of the base, just inside the lip. Then I took a knife and cut the center out, leaving only the outer ring of the base intact. I glued the foam stonework up into this, and then covered the bottom with greenstuff after it dried to make it more solid and give it a little more heft.